|Unc's pic from 2005|
As we began to clear out the kochia, wild rye and various other weeds the following spring, we found even more garbage and general stuff. Instead of getting better, we just seemed to be uncovering more junk and growing our to-do list.
|2008 or so -- note the water tank|
|This spring, dead and dry|
We removed the axle buried in the yard that held up the sloping pipe in 2009. Dude cut the pipe where it entered the corner of the foundation earlier this year. Yesterday, we dug up several more pieces buried in yards, most of which broke decades ago, but were left where they were for whatever reason. (You'd think a family of blacksmiths would have solutions for broken pipe...) In the meantime, the grass has died, and the only watering of plants I can do is by ditching runoff from the water trough or the trickle I get through the hose.
|The old doghouse, now gone|
New watering systems have been a staple of our planning discussions. As the architect of the team, I tend to focus on the layout of the property and how to get water to all the corners without the traditional maze of pipes and hoses. Dude, as the machinist and mechanical engineer on the team, tends to focus on the lack of pressurized water, the need for pumps, and the idea that we have the opportunity for gravity (read that, minimal electricity) options. Munchkin, as the motivational director, just wants a pool.
So, it's been an ongoing and endless discussion... until last week. Our region of the country has been bombarded by wildfires, most of them burning out of control. A few days ago, Dude and I watched an area about 15 miles away (and a mile from a friend's house) burn to nothing in less than two hours. As a former volunteer fireman, he was anxious about it jumping the highway and heading right up the coulees to our place. As the daughter of a volunteer fireman, I was considering calling my father to come hold a hose outside the ranch house just in case. The fire was eventually contained, but it spurred the immediacy of a fire safety plan at the ranch.
|Kitten hindering the cleanup|
Dude found an old whirly-style lawn sprinkler, and hooked it up to the water-trough pump. It only gave us a ten-foot diameter wet spot in the yard, but it gave us something. In the upper yard, it's only giving us a five-foot diameter one, though. He's now researching an old jet pump my dad gave us to see if that might provide us with better irrigation. Either way, the motivation is finally there, and the project is superceding all others.
|Before planting today|
Outdoors I go, to plant the first lawn section... before the rainstorm hits in two days. Bring on the water!